address by Vladimir Putin dated 2014/08/29
|Russian President Vladimir Putin addresses the Novorossiya Militia about their successes against the military forces of the Kiev Junta
Subjects: Ukraine coup 2014/Civil war
, NAF Source: Kremlin Web site
Translated from Russian by Kremlin OfficialWikispooks Comment
The address was given following the startling southward offensive thrust by NAF towards the Sea of Azov coast in which the Ukrainian army was routed and encircled in a number of so-called 'cauldrons'. It is notable for a number of reasons which are well illustrated in the following Facebook posting by Moscow-based analyst Mark Sleboda: 
The statement on Russian Presidential website directly addressed to the militia of NovoRossiya:
- For first time Putin addresses rebels directly instead of "third person".
- Calls them by the name "militia of NovoRosiya". 1st big step to recognition of independence? NovoRossiya shall be
- Comes on heels of Lavrov yesterday for first time mentioning possibility of independence for Donbass, rather than Kremlin's goal up till now which was "federalism"
- Lauds success of militia in saving civilians being attacked by Kiev - Their cause is just and moral
- Urges NAF to open humanitarian corridor to let trapped Ukrainian troops surrender to Russia and from there to send them home (to stir unrest there) - shows mercy, shows his war is not with Ukrainians just with Kiev regime
- Recognizes that much of Ukrainian army has been forcibly conscripted against their will by Kiev regime
Further Analysis - no more fears Putin will throw NAF completely under the bus for deal with West, expect more and more support, expect change in Russian domestic media tone more supportive of NAF cause
Post Script - At almost same time Obama makes speech confirming once again that the US (and thus NATO) will NOT confront Russia militarily in Ukraine. 
★ Start a Discussion about this document
Full text of address
It is clear the militia has achieved a major success in intercepting Kiev’s military operation, which represents a grave danger to the population of Donbass and which has already led to the loss of many lives among peaceful residents.
As a result of the militia’s actions, a large number of Ukrainian service members who did not participate in the military operation of their own volition but while following orders have been surrounded.
I call on the militia groups to open a humanitarian corridor for Ukrainian service members who have been surrounded, so as to avoid any needless loss of life, giving them the opportunity to leave the combat area unimpeded and reunite with their families, to return them to their mothers, wives and children, and to quickly provide medical assistance to those who were injured in the course of the military operation.
For its part, the Russian side is ready and willing to provide humanitarian aid to the people of Donbass, who have been affected by this humanitarian catastrophe.
I once again call on the Ukrainian authorities to immediately stop military actions, cease fire, sit down at the negotiating table with Donbass representatives and resolve all the accumulated problems exclusively via peaceful means.
August 29, 2014, 01:10