Document:Greek Media and Information Literacy Week
★ Start a Discussion about this document
Greek Media and Information Literacy Week
After the successful first nation-wide Greek Media and Information Literacy Week in December 2017, we continue with the second one, from 19 to 25 November 2018. The MIL WEEK is an annual open series of public events, aiming at familiarizing Greek citizens with the new ways of getting and interpreting all kinds of information and messages through traditional or new/digital media: newspapers, TV, radio and internet platforms.
The MIL WEEK aims to promote the concepts of News / Media Literacy and to familiarize readers / media users with basic principles and concepts so that they can judge and control -as much as possible- the online and printed content they read, share or create, as well as information on social media and any kind of popular communication platforms, so as to be able to distinguish news from misinformation, biased content, or propaganda and to responsibly participate in content sharing or creating. Target: General Public.
The GREEK MIL WEEK is organized by MEDIA LITERACY INSTITUTE (MLI), Journalists About Journalism (www.jaj.gr) and the Peace Journalism Lab (Department of Journalism and Mass Media, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki). It is supported ((communication sponsor) by Athens 9.84 radio station, the Thessaloniki Municipal Society for Information, Entertainment and Communications (Fm100, TV100) and the Association of Daily Press Editors of Macedonia & Thrace (ESIEMTH), and, most likely, SKAI TV shall be participate as one more communication sponsor.
You can be our main sponsor with 20.000 Euros. In this case II:
1. shall be mentioned at the end of each video animation during the cross media online and TV campaign and your Logo will be displayed
2. You shall be welcomed to bring/send your banner to be displayed in the workshops halls and panels
3. II shall participate in the panel discussions
4. II logo and reference in the event announcement online (FB) (and, hopefully, on SKAI TV) 15 days before the MIL Week
5. II logo and reference under the ongoing relevant publications on www.mli.gr, www.jaj.gr, www.athina984.gr, and other web sites.
MIL shall provide a report on II participation and media coverage by 15 December 2018.
OR you can choose any workshop it suits you from the following marked with red. Whatever you choose, you’ll be provided by formal/legal invoices by MLI immediately after depositing any amount in MLI’s bank account. If needed, you’ll be provided by formal/legal invoices of every person/expenses payed by this amount by 20 December.
Indicative events during the 2nd Greek Media and Information Literacy Week
1. Cross media campaign on FB & Twitter & Linkedin
2. Animated campaign videos (SKAI TV has been invited to act as our communications sponsor - confirmation pending)
3. 3h. Workshops on the following topics:
a. Introduction to Data Journalism: 1.500 Euro (Florents Tselai, Data Scientist)
b. Our social media image: 1500 Euro (Maria Kozakou, Journalist, Social Media Expert)
c. The two-way relationship between citizens and journalists: News Literacy VS Disinformation / Misinformation (Sissy Alonistiotou, Journalist, Political scientist). Under this title will be used “russian disinformation cases” as the main content to demonstrate the ways and effect of this interference: 1500 Euro
d. Media Literacy: The Need of the 21st Century: 1500 Euro (Katerina Chryssanthopoulou, Cognitive Scientist, Media Literacy PhD Student)
4. Discussion panel: News Literacy VS Disinformation & Misinformation. Participants to be announced at the end of September. We intend το adress to British Council in order to participate with a speaker of their choice. Consider here your participation as you wish to have it and tell me.
We can add (to this special week) workshops in Athens & Thessaloniki, such as:
A. Propaganda & counter propaganda on line: What it is and how to deal with it: 1500 Euro (plus accomodation/travels expenses for Thessaloniki 200 Euro)
B. The News: What and How “we believe”, the significance of News Literacy for Democracy: 1500 Euro (plus accomodation/travels expenses for Thessaloniki 200 Euro)