Document:1975 WUBRINY Memo
MEMORANDUM FOR: Deputy Director of Operations
SUBJECT: Messrs. George Bush and Thomas J. Devine
1. Through Mr. Gale Allen, C/CCS/PRG, I learned that Mr. George Bush, DCI designate, has prior knowledge of the now terminated project WUBRINY/LPDICTUM which was involved in proprietary commercial operations in Europe. He became aware of this project through Mr. Thomas J. Devine, a former CIA Staff Employee and later oil-wildcatting associate with Mr. Bush. ,Their activities culminated in the establishment of Zapata Oil which they eventually sold. After the sale of Zapata Oil, Mr. Bush went into politics, and Mr. Devine became a member of the investment firm of Train, Cabot and Associates, New York.
2. The attached memorandum describes the close between Messrs. Devine and Bush in 1967-1968 which, according to Mr. Allen, continued while Mr. Bush was our Ambassador to The United Nations. Mr. Devine's 201 file shows no operational involvement after 1968.
30 January 1968
MEMORANDUM FOR: DO/Security
SUBJECT: Thomas James Devine - 201267708
1. Subject is a former Agency staff employee who resigned in 1953 to go into private business. A CSA was granted DO division on 12 June 1963 for use of subject in Project WUBRINY operations. Since this time, he has been used as a cleared and witting commercial asset under Project WUBRINY. He has proved to be most competent and trustworthy.
2. Subject is a personal friend and unofficial foreign affairs advisor to Representative George Bush of Texas. Mr. Bush recently request subject accompany him to Vietnam. He did so during the period 26 December 1967-11 January 1968. Prior to this trip, subject requested the undersigned to arrange for the Department of State (Mr. Macomber) to be advised that subject's Agency clearance is current. DO/Security advised the Agency Legislative Counsel, Mr. John Warner, of subject's clearance, and Mr. Warner advised Mr. Macomber of State. However, as reported by subject, the Agency acknowledged in an inter-agency check that information on subject was as of 1953. It became necessary for the Department of Defense to issue an interim top secret clearance ob subject to cover his Vietnam trip with Mr. Bush.
3. Subject has asked if the Agency can update his clearance so that he may have a standing top secret clearance status. He expects to make further trips abroad with Mr. Bush, and feels that a standing TS clearance would greatly facilitate such trips.
4. Subject's current role in project WUBRINY is limited to be a cleared and witting contact in the investment banking firm which houses and manages the proprietary corporation WUSALINE.
5. The undersigned recommends subject who is the most discreet and security conscious business contact the undersigned has met.
cc: Legislative counsel
Mr. John Warner