Kinzhal missile slung below a MIG-31
Kh-47M2 Kinzhal ("Dagger") is a high-precision hypersonic air-launched ballistic missile unveiled by Russian President Vladimir Putin on 1 March 2018 as one of the six new Russian strategic weapons.
The Kinzhal hypersonic missile has a range of more than 2,000 km (1,200 mi), Mach 10 speed, and an ability to perform evasive manoeuvres at every stage of the flight. It can carry both conventional and nuclear warheads. Footage showed the missile being launched by MiG-31. It is already deployed at Russia's Southern Military District airbases.
The Kinzhal missile accelerates to hypersonic speed within seconds of launch and performs manoeuvres at all stages of the flight trajectory to evade enemy missile defences. It appears that Kinzhal is an adaptation of the Iskander missile.
Western commentators, however, have been skeptical about Russian claims for the weapon's performance.
|Document:SITREP: A false flag attack on a USN ship next||blog post||21 April 2018||'Nick for the Saker'||The Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group, which comprises the cruiser USS Normandy, six destroyers and carries 6,500 sailors, is heading for Syria. Russia’s hypersonic Kinzhal (‘Dagger’) missile system having made these vessels effectively obsolete, means that the ships and their crews are essentially being sailed into a bloody scrapyard.|
- "Russia unveils Kinzhal hypersonic missile"
- "Kinzhal complex substantially boosts Russia’s Aerospace Force capabilities — commander"
- "Putin unveils new nuclear missile, says 'listen to us now'". nbcnews.com. Retrieved 2 March 2018.Page Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css must have content model "Sanitized CSS" for TemplateStyles (current model is "Scribunto").
- "Russian Aerospace Forces test launch Kinzhal hypersonic missile"
- "Russia Just Fired a Hypersonic Missile from a MiG-31 Fighter. Should America be Worried?"
- "Putin's Air-Launched Hypersonic Weapon Appears To Be A Modified Iskander Ballistic Missile - The Drive"
- "Russia Test Fires New Kh-47M2 Kinzhal Hypersonic Missile"