Church Street bombing
The Church Street bombing was a car bomb attack on 20 May 1983 in the South African capital Pretoria allegedly by Umkhonto we Sizwe, the military wing of the African National Congress. The bombing killed 19, including two perpetrators, and wounded 217.
The Churh Street bombing consisted of a car bomb set off outside the Nedbank Square Building, which was shared between Nedbank and the Dutch embassy, on Church Street at 4:30 pm on Friday, 20 May 1983. The target was South African Air Force (SAAF) headquarters, but as the bomb was set to go off at the height of rush hour, those killed and wounded included civilians. The bomb went off ten minutes earlier than planned, killing two of the alleged perpetrators, Freddie Shangwe and Ezekial Maseko. At least 20 ambulances took the dead and wounded to hospital.
On 29 September 2017, LibertyFighters.CoZa tweeted:
- 1983 Church Street bomb was an attack by NP gov on its own people. Same detonator used as the one SA used to blow up Pan Am Lockerbie '88.
Lockerbie campaigner Patrick Haseldine replied (belatedly) on 29 October 2017:
- Was 1983 #ChurchStreetBombing really done by SA #CCB? Intrigued to know more about the detonator used on #PanAm103.
- "1983: Car bomb in South Africa kills 16". BBC. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- "Debating the Church Street Bombing"
- "ANC Mastermind Campaign Justifies Pretoria Church Street Blast". SAPA. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- "1983 Church Street bomb was an attack by NP gov on its own people. Same detonator used as the one SA used to blow up Pan Am Lockerbie '88"
- "Was 1983 #ChurchStreetBombing really done by SA #CCB? Intrigued to know more about the detonator used on #PanAm103"
|Display docType||Wikispooks Page +|
|Display image||File:Church_Street_bombing.jpg +|
|Has fullPageName||Church Street bombing +|
|Has fullPageNamee||Church_Street_bombing +|
|Has image2||File:Church_Street_bombing.jpg +|
|Has noRatings||0 +|
|Has objectClass||Event +|
|Has objectClass2||Event +|
|Has perpetrator||Church Street bombing/Perpetrators +|
|Has revisionSize||2,613 +|
|Has revisionUser||Patrick Haseldine +|
|Has wikipediaPage||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church Street bombing +|
|Has wikipediaPage2||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Street_bombing +|
|Is not stub||true +|
|Source credit||Wikipedia +|