| Carla Hayden |
Tallahassee, Florida, U.S.
|Alma mater||Roosevelt University, University of Chicago|
US Librarian of Congress
Carla Diane Hayden is an American librarian and the 14th Librarian of Congress. She is the first professional librarian appointed to the post in over 60 years.
Born in Tallahassee, Florida, Hayden began her career at the Chicago Public Library, eventually earning a doctorate in library science from the University of Chicago. From 1993 until 2016, she was the CEO of Enoch Pratt Free Library in Baltimore, Maryland, and president of the American Library Association (ALA) from 2003 to 2004. During her presidency, she was the leading voice of the ALA in speaking out against the newly passed United States Patriot Act.
In 2020, she was elected to the American Philosophical Society. She is a board member of the Open Society Institute–Baltimore,
- ↑ https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/1116-AL-web.pdf
- ↑ https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/magazine/carla-hayden-thinks-libraries-are-a-key-to-freedom.html
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20181230122800/http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2016/07/dr-carla-hayden-serve-next-librarian-congress
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20110605072556/http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/governance/officers/past/
- ↑ http://www.ala.org/news/news/pressreleases2003/pr2003november/publicstatement
- ↑ https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2014/10/03/librarians-wont-stay-quiet-about-government-surveillance/