2023 Selby and Ainsty by-election
|Date||20 July 2023|
The 2023 Selby and Ainsty by-election took place on 20 July 2023, following the announcement on 10 June 2023 that the incumbent Conservative MP, Nigel Adams, was standing down from Parliament with immediate effect. Adams had previously announced he intended to stand down as an MP at the next general election, with the Party having selected a candidate to succeed him the previous day. Adams formally confirmed his resignation on 12 June 2023.
Nigel Adams had previously rebuffed the idea he would stand down as an MP early. He had been expected to receive a peerage as part of Boris Johnson's resignation honours, but had been removed from the final list by the House of Lords Appointments Commission (HOLAC), which was published the previous day.
The following stood as Independents:
- Andrew Gray
- Nick Palmer
- Taylor Wilson-Kerr
Sir Kid Starver
On 19 July 2023, Richard O'Neill tweeted:
- Remember :--Tomorrow you get the chance to put the smug bastard Sir Kid Starver in his place, don't spurn the opportunity!
- These three by-elections are irrelevant, they're temporary till next year, so it's your last chance to give your verdict.
- "I’ve today informed the chief whip that I will be standing down as a Member of Parliament with immediate effect"
- "Tory Michael Naughton bids to succeed Nigel Adams as Selby MP"
- "Selby and Ainsty by-election candidates confirmed"
- "Tomorrow you get the chance to put the smug bastard Starmer in his place"
- "Keir Mather - Labour's newest MP and 'baby of the House'"