| Ricky Tomlinson |
(author, actor, activist)
Ricky Tomlinson with Steve Rotheram MP for Liverpool (Walton)
26 September 1939
Bispham, Blackpool, Lancashire, England
|Member of||Shrewsbury 24|
Ricky Tomlinson peacefully picketed construction sites during the 1972 building workers strike, was fitted up by Tory Home Secretary Robert Carr, charged under the 1895 Conspiracy Act, tried, convicted and jailed for 16 months. Four decades later, the Shrewsbury 24 are demanding secret government papers be released into the public domain so that their criminal conviction can be overturned.
Ricky Tomlinson said:
- “I speak not just for myself but also for all the pickets who were charged. Many of them never worked again due to the blacklist, in particular Des Warren who died in 2004. The prison sentences and fines we received for picketing completely wrecked our lives. The Official Shrewsbury 24 Campaign Committee have carried out extensive research into this miscarriage of justice and are confident that our application to the Criminal Cases Review Commission has a good chance of being considered favourably and referred to the Court Of Appeal, where we hope the convictions will be quashed. I thank them from the bottom of my heart for all their efforts. Please support our campaign.”
Debate in Westminster
On 9 December 2015, Steve Rotheram MP Parliamentary Private Secretary to Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, sponsored a debate in Westminster Hall concerning the lack of transparency regarding the Conservative government. He emphasised the age of the pickets and the need for no further delay in releasing the papers, and allow the pickets to receive the justice they deserve. Andy Burnham, Shadow Home Secretary, threatened to oppose Theresa May's plans to extend spying powers under the Draft Investigatory Powers Bill (which aims to overhaul the laws governing how the state, police and spies can gather private communications or other forms of data to combat crime, "terrorism" and other threats to national security) unless it releases papers about the "politically motivated show trial" of the Shrewsbury 24. Burnham alleged that the men were victims of a propaganda war, and there was undue political influence "at the very top of government" over the decision to prosecute them. He said:
- "What possible justification can there be, 43 years on, for information about it to be withheld on national security grounds? The failure to disclose has less to do with national security and much more to do with the potential for political embarrassment."
Replying to the debate, Minister of State for Policing and Justice Mike Penning said files relating to the investigation and conviction of the Shrewsbury 24 could not be released on the grounds of national security.
In August 2016, The Canary reported that Ricky Tomlinson had brandished on Channel 4 News a copy of the Economic League‘s North West blacklist, which blacklisted thousands of workers (including him) from industry jobs over several decades. As well as revealing an excerpt from that blacklist, it observed that "only a handful of people possess copies of the entire Economic League’s North West blacklist."
- "Shrewsbury 24 Campaign"
- "Pickets' statements"
- "Westminster Hall Debate: Home Office and the case of the Shrewsbury 24"
- "Shrewsbury 24: Labour threat over spying powers bill"
- "Shrewsbury 24: Government rejects calls to release files"
- "Actor Ricky Tomlinson brandishes a secret blacklist in an electrifying moment on Channel 4 News"
|Born on||September 26, 1939 +|
|Constitutes||Author +, Actor + and Activist +|
|Display born on||26 September 1939 +|
|Display docType||Wikispooks Page +|
|Display image||File:Tomlinson_Rotheram.jpg +|
|Display lifespan||Born 26 September 1939 +|
|Has amazon||https://www.amazon.com/Ricky-Tomlinson/e/B001KDE8NG/ +|
|Has bilderbergCount||0 +|
|Has birthPlace||Bispham +, Blackpool +, Lancashire + and England +|
|Has cercleCount||0 +|
|Has child||3 +|
|Has fullPageName||Ricky Tomlinson +|
|Has fullPageNamee||Ricky_Tomlinson +|
|Has image2||File:Tomlinson_Rotheram.jpg +|
|Has noRatings||0 +|
|Has objectClass||Person +|
|Has objectClass2||Person +|
|Has revisionSize||4,387 +|
|Has revisionUser||Robin +|
|Has spouse||Marlene Tomlinson +|
|Has wikipediaPage||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky Tomlinson +|
|Has wikipediaPage2||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Tomlinson +|
|Is not stub||true +|