|Interest of||Sue Coleman-Haseldine|
Progressive International (PI) is an international organisation uniting and mobilising progressive left-wing activists and organisations.
Formally founded and launched on 11 May 2020 amidst the global Coronavirus pandemic, PI held its inaugural summit titled "Internationalism or Extinction" in September 2020, bringing together Council members, trade unions, social movements, and political parties across continents with Noam Chomsky delivering the keynote speech.
PI aspires to a world that is:
- Democratic, where all people have the power to shape their institutions and their societies.
- Decolonised, where all nations determine their collective destiny free from oppression.
- Just, that redresses inequality in our societies and the legacy of our shared history.
- Egalitarian, that serves the interests of the many, and never the few.
- Liberated, where all identities enjoy equal rights, recognition, and power.
- Solidaristic, where the struggle of each is the struggle of all.
- Sustainable, that respects planetary boundaries and protects frontline communities.
- Ecological, that brings human society into harmony with its habitat.
- Peaceful, where the violence of war is replaced by the diplomacy of peoples.
- Post-capitalist, that rewards all forms of labour while abolishing the cult of work.
- Prosperous, that eradicates poverty and invests in a future of shared abundance.
- Plural, where difference is celebrated as strength.
An 87-member Council of advisors is responsible for setting PI's strategic direction. Members include:
- Noam Chomsky
- Sue Coleman-Haseldine
- Jeremy Corbyn
- Rafael Correa
- John Cusack
- Baltasar Garzón Real
- Srećko Horvat
- Wang Hui
- Naomi Klein
- John McDonnell
- Zarah Sultana
- Yanis Varoufakis
- Cornel West
- Slavoj Žižek
On 2 October 2020, Progressive International launched the Belmarsh Tribunal to put the United States government on trial for war crimes conducted in the 21st century and "drawing attention to the extradition case of Julian Assange for revealing them".
The Belmarsh Tribunal is scheduled to convene for the first time physically on 22 October 2021 at the Convocation Hall, Church House, Westminster, to argue that it should be the US government that is put on trial and not Julian Assange. Belmarsh Tribunal founder Srećko Horvat says:
“After the revelations about the murderous CIA plans to kill a publisher and journalist on British soil, not only the current US government but also the UK government must be held responsible for still keeping Assange in prison.
“The Biden administration should drop the charges against Assange and the UK government should free him immediately and end the suffering and torture of a courageous man who has committed no crime.
“In a society in which telling the truth becomes a crime, we are all accomplices of crime as long as Assange is in prison.”
A document sourced from Progressive International
|Document:Brazil is back||Brazil|
Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva
|31 October 2022||Aline Piva||“We defeated authoritarianism and fascism in this country. Democracy is back in Brazil,” said Lula. Today, Progressive International congratulates our friends, allies, and comrades in Brazil and celebrates the founding of a new, internationalist Brazil.|
Wikipedia is not affiliated with Wikispooks. Original page source here