"Trafficking in human beings for the removal of organs remains one of the least understood and addressed forms of human trafficking globally.is one of the least understood and addressed forms of human trafficking globally."
In 2006, allegations emerged that a large number of Falun Gong practitioners had been murdered to supply China's organ transplant industry. These allegations prompted an investigation by former Canadian Secretary of State David Kilgour and human rights lawyer David Matas.
In August 2009, Manfred Nowak, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture said that "The Chinese government has yet to come clean and be transparent ... It remains to be seen how it could be possible that organ transplant surgeries in Chinese hospitals have risen massively since 1999, while there are never that many voluntary donors available."
In 2012, State Organs: Transplant Abuse in China, edited by David Matas and Dr. Torsten Trey was published with essays from six medical professionals, Ethan Gutmann, David Matas and an essay co-written by Kilgour. Ethan Gutmann interviewed over 100 witnesses and estimated that 65,000 Falun Gong practitioners were killed for their organs from 2000 to 2008.
As of 2019, illegal detention, torture, murder and organ harvesting of Falun Gong adherents was still ongoing. A tribunal chaired by Geoffrey Nice in London suggested a conservative estimate is that 60,000-90,000 transplant operations were conducted each year.
|Document:Inhuman treatment of people and illicit trafficking in human organs in Kosovo||webpage||7 January 2011||Dick Marty|
|Document:Investigation of allegations of inhuman treatment of people and illicit trafficking in human organs in Kosovo||webpage||25 January 2011||Dick Marty|
|Document:Ukrainian soldiers' organs traded||correspondence||6 July 2014||Sergey Vlasenko|
|An apparent hoax about hacked correspondence between Donbass Battalion commander, Yulia Tymoshenko's lawyer and a German medical practitioner evidencing a burgeoning trade in the organs of Ukrainian soldiers|
|File:Council of Europe Kosovo Report.pdf||report||12 December 2010||The Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights|
|File:NATO-KFOR-Kosovo Organised Crime.ppt||presentation||This appears to be a NATO-KFOR presentation on organised crime in Kosovo. The presentation is marked "SECRET NATO" and "Created by "Cpt. Sikora CZA". There is no indication of date but it's contents place it around 2000-2004 - probably as part of the considerations surrounding the preparations for declaring Kosovo independance from Serbia.|
|File:NATO-KFOR-Kosovo Organised Crime.zip||image||38 images which appear to be the content of a NATO-KFOR presentation on organised crime in Kosovo. The presentation is marked "SECRET NATO" and "Created by "Cpt. Sikora CZA". There is no indication of date but it's contents place it around 2000-2004 - probably as part of the considerations surrounding the preparations for declaring Kosovo independance from Serbia.|
|File:UNMIK Forensic Report Organ Trafficking Kosovo.pdf||report||18 June 2004||A forensic report of the examination of a house in Burrel, Albania, alleged to have been used for the removal of human organs prior to the killing an burial of victims.|
|File:UNMIK Investigation Organ Trafficking Kosovo.pdf||report||Extensive information about human organ trafficking in Kosovo implicating senior members of the Kosovo government. It comprises a memo to the then UN Chief of Investigations from the Head of the UNMIK Mission - the UN Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo - dated 30 October 2003, together with documents dealing with various aspects of the investigations.|
- G Danovitch articles, US National Library of Medicine
- AL Caplan articles, US National Library of Medicine
- J Lavee articles, US National Library of Medicine
- G Ahmad articles, US National Library of Medicine
- T Trey articles, US National Library of Medicine
- M Fiatarone Singh articles, US National Library of Medicine
- "State Organs: Introduction" seraphimeditions.com
- Rebeca Kuropatwa (19 September 2012) "New Matas book reveals transplant abuse", Jewish Tribune
- Mark Colvin (27 November 2012) "Parliament to hear evidence of transplant abuse in China", Australian Broadcasting Corporation
- Matthew Robertson (31 August 2012) "Book Exposes Organized Killing for Organs in China" The Epoch Times
- David Matas, Dr. Torsten Trey (2012) State Organs, Transplant Abuse in China seraphimeditions.com p. 144
- Jay Nordlinger (25 August 2014) "Face The Slaughter: The Slaughter: Mass Killings, Organ Harvesting, and China’s Secret Solution to Its Dissident Problem, by Ethan Gutmann", National Review
- Viv Young (11 August 2014) "The Slaughter: Mass Killings, Organ Harvesting, and China’s Secret Solution to Its Dissident Problem" New York Journal of Books
- Barbara Turnbull (21 October 2014) "Q&A: Author and analyst Ethan Gutmann discusses China’s illegal organ trade" The Toronto Star
- Ethan Gutmann (August 2014) The Slaughter: Mass Killings, Organ Harvesting and China’s Secret Solution to Its Dissident Problem "Average number of Falun Gong in Laogai System at any given time" Low estimate 450,000, High estimate 1,000,000 p 320. "Best estimate of Falun Gong harvested 2000 to 2008" 65,000 p 322. amazon.com