File:NIC Iran - Nuclear Intentions and Capabilities.pdf
★ Start a Discussion about this document
Iran: Nuclear Intentions and Capabilities
A. We judge with high confidence that in fall 2003, Tehran halted its nuclear weapons program; we also assess with moderate-to-high confidence that Tehran at a minimum is keeping open the option to develop nuclear weapons. We judge with high confidence that the halt, and Tehran’s announcement of its decision to suspend its declared uranium enrichment program and sign an Additional Protocol to its Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Safeguards Agreement, was directed primarily in response to increasing international scrutiny and pressure resulting from exposure of Iran’s previously undeclared nuclear work.
- We assess with high confidence that until fall 2003, Iranian military entities were working under government direction to develop nuclear weapons.
- We judge with high confidence that the halt lasted at least several years. (Because of intelligence gaps discussed elsewhere in this Estimate, however, DOE and the NIC assess with only moderate confidence that the halt to those activities represents a halt to Iran's entire nuclear weapons program.)
- We assess with moderate confidence Tehran had not restarted its nuclear weapons program as of mid-2007, but we do not know whether it currently intends to develop nuclear weapons.
- We continue to assess with moderate-to-high confidence that Iran does not currently have a nuclear weapon.
- Tehran’s decision to halt its nuclear weapons program suggests it is less determined to develop nuclear weapons than we have been judging since 2005. Our assessment that the program probably was halted primarily in response to international pressure suggests Iran may be more vulnerable to influence on the issue than we judged previously.
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||19:57, 4 June 2010||(134 KB)||Maintenance script|
- You cannot overwrite this file.
|Display docType||report +|
|Display image||File:Document.png +|
|Has documentType||report +|
|Has fullPageName||File:NIC Iran - Nuclear Intentions and Capabilities.pdf +|
|Has fullPageNamee||File:NIC_Iran_-_Nuclear_Intentions_and_Capabilities.pdf +|
|Has noRatings||0 +|
|Has objectClass||Document +|
|Has objectClass2||Document +|
|Has publicationDate||November 2007 +|
|Has revisionSize||1,920 +|
|Has revisionUser||Robin +|
|Is about||Iran/Nuclear weapons +|
|Is not stub||true +|
|Sourced from||National Intelligence Council +|