Eastern Kentucky University
| Eastern Kentucky University |
|Motto||Where Students and Learning Come First|
|Regional Kentucky university|
Eastern Kentucky University (Eastern or EKU) is a public university in Richmond, Kentucky. It is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. It maintains branch campuses in Corbin, Hazard, Lancaster, and Manchester and offers more than 40 online undergraduate and graduate options.
Central University was founded in 1874 on the present site of Eastern Kentucky University. In 1901, beset with financial difficulties and small enrollment, Central University agreed to consolidation with Centre College. The Kentucky General Assembly of 1906 enacted legislation establishing the Eastern Kentucky State Normal School No. 1. The legislation was signed into law by the governor on March 21, 1906. On May 7, 1906, the Normal School Commission selected the site of the former Central University campus to be the location of the new school. In 1922 it became a four-year institution and changed its name to the Eastern Kentucky State Normal School and Teachers College, awarding its first degrees under that name in 1925. The school received accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1928; then, two years later, in 1930, it changed its name again to the Eastern Kentucky State Teachers College. Eastern added graduate studies in 1935, and thirteen years later, in 1948, the General Assembly removed the word "Teachers" from the school's name, and granted it the right to award nonprofessional degrees. It was not until 1966 that the school was officially renamed Eastern Kentucky University. In 2010, the university awarded its first doctoral degree—in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies. EKU continues to serve its service region by offering adult degree completion options and online degree programs in addition to its traditional on-campus offerings.
An Alumnus on Wikispooks
- ↑ http://catalogs.eku.edu/sites/catalogs.eku.edu/files/files/2016-17%20Undergraduate%20Catalog_EKU.pdf%7Ctitle=EKU 2016–2017 Undergraduate Catalogue
- ↑ http://www.eku.edu/campuses%7Ctitle=EKU Regional Campuses|work=eku.edu
- ↑ a b http://ekuonline.eku.edu/%7Ctitle=Accredited Online Degree Programs from EKU – Earn Your Degree Online – Online Degree Programs – – Eastern Kentucky University
- ↑ Eastern Kentucky University, EKU Undergraduate Catalog. 2007–2008. pg 6
- ↑ http://finish.eku.edu/%7Ctitle=Finish Your Degree – Eastern Kentucky University