Brian Pluthero is a former Duty Passenger Service Manager with Pan American World Airways and Manager Ground Security with United Airlines. He retired in February 1992.
On 23 January 2015, Brian Pluthero posted the following cryptic message on Dr Jim Swire's Lockerbietruth.com website:
- "I was the registered Pan Am ground security coordinator on duty at the departure of Pan Am Flight 103. At the time my views were silenced by Pan Am management. I would welcome speaking to Dr Jim Swire."
Dr Swire's Lockerbie researcher Peter Biddulph replied two days later:
- "Hi Brian,
- "I did receive your enquiry, and sent an email invitation for you to contact me so that I could pass your message on to Jim Swire. I still haven't heard from you. The offer is still open. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org."
On 6 May 2015, Peter Biddulph wrote:
- "We are still waiting for your reply. But, of course, there will not be one. You are both Brian Pluthero and Patrick Haseldine, the famous Professor Emeritus of a non-existent university."
Three weeks later, Biddulph wrote:
- "Still no reply. It is sad indeed that a former Pan Am ground security coordinator was silenced by his employees [Sic] following the Lockerbie attack. Our heart goes out to you. Keep on lying. It helps to pass the time."
On 2 February 2018, Patrick Haseldine joined the conversation:
- "Hi Peter,
- "I've only just seen your remarks from three years ago and have two things to say. Firstly, from his Linkedin profile, I estimate that Brian Pluthero is in his eighties, whereas - like you - I'm somewhat younger: so he certainly is not me!
- "Secondly, it's clear Mr Pluthero wished to speak directly to Dr Jim Swire. By imposing yourself as the interlocutor, therefore, you appear to have frightened him off.
- "Emeritus Professor of Lockerbie Studies"
- "Brian Pluthero Retired (Early) in 1992"
- "Brian Pluthero's message to Dr Swire"
- "I still haven't heard from you"
- "We are still waiting for your reply. But, of course, there will not be one."
- "Keep on lying. It helps to pass the time."
- "It's clear Mr Pluthero wished to speak directly to Dr Jim Swire"