Switzerland/Minister/Environment Transport Energy and Communications
| Switzerland/Minister/Environment Transport Energy and Communications |
(Environment Minister, Transport Minister, Minister of Energy, Minister of Communications)
|Swiss minister with many infrastructure responsibilities; regulates radio and TV stations|
Of particular interest for European interests is the large rail and road transit traffic through the Alps.
The Department is composed of the following offices:
- General Secretariat
- Federal Office for Spatial Development (ARE): Coordinates area planning between the federal agencies, the cantons and the municipalities.
- Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN): Responsible for matters of the environment, including the protection of plants and animals and the protection against noise, air pollution or natural hazards.
- Federal Office for Civil Aviation (FOCA): Regulates civil aviation.
- Federal Office of Communications (OFCOM): Regulates radio and TV stations, notably the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation.
- Federal Office of Energy (FOE): Responsible for the provision of electrical energy at the federal level, as well as for the supervision of dams.
- Federal Office of Transport (FOT): Responsible for public transport at the federal level, including the development of the federal rail network and navigation on the Rhine.
- Federal Roads Authority (FEDRO): Responsible for the construction, maintenance and operation of the national highway network.
The following independent authorities are affiliated to the DETEC for administrative purposes:
- Swiss Transportation Safety Investigation Board (formerly Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau and Investigation Bureau for Railway, Funicular and Boat Accidents).
- Federal Communications Commission (ComCom): Regulates the telecommunications market, awards service licences, rules on interconnection disputes and approves frequency and numbering plans.
- Federal Inspectorate for Heavy Current Installations (ESTI): Responsible for inspecting low and heavy-current electrical installations.
- Federal Nuclear Safety Inspectorate (HSK): Assesses and monitors security and radiation protection in Swiss nuclear installations.
- Federal Pipelines Inspectorate (ERI): Responsible for the planning, construction and operation of fuel pipeline systems in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
- Independent Complaints Authority for Radio and Television: Decides on complaints about radio and television programmes.
- PostReg: Regulates the Swiss Post.
- Railways Arbitration Commission (RACO): Arbitrates in disputes over access to the rail network.
An Office Holder on Wikispooks
|Doris Leuthard||1 November 2010|