| Switzerland/Minister/Economic Affairs |
(Minister of Economic Affairs)
The east wing of the Federal Palace of Switzerland.
The Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research is one of the seven departments of the federal government of Switzerland, headed by a Member of the Swiss Federal Council.
The department's task is to ensure optimal framework conditions for employers and entrepreneurs, for trade, for small and medium-sized enterprises, but also for large multinational companies (which there are many of in Switzerland). The department controls and accompanies the economic policy decisions and their implementation and is intended to support a policy that improves the starting position for Switzerland as a business and research location in global competition.
The Department is composed of the following offices:
- General Secretariat, including the Federal Consumer Affairs Bureau FCAB (responsible for consumer affairs) and the Swiss civilian service agency (ZIVI).
- State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO): Responsible for national and international economic policy, trade negotiations and labour policy.
- State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI).
- Federal Office for Agriculture (FOAG): Responsible for agricultural policy and for direct payments to Swiss farmers.
- Federal Veterinary office (FVO): Responsible for animal welfare and health, the safety of food of animal origin and the implementation of the CITES convention.
- Integration Office (see FDFA above)
- Federal Office for National Economic Supply (FONES): Manages emergency supplies of essential goods and services.
- Federal Housing Office (FHO): Responsible for housing policy.
The following independent authorities are affiliated to the FDEA for administrative purposes:
- Price Supervisor: Price ombudsman and responsible for the supervision of regulated prices.
- Competition Commission: Swiss competition regulator.
- Swiss Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training (SFIVET): Provides training for vocational education professionals.
Names of the department
- 1848–1872: Department of Trade and Customs
- 1873–1878: Department of Railway and Trade
- 1879–1887: Department of Trade and Agriculture
- 1888–1895: Department of Industry and Agriculture
- 1896–1914: Department of Trade, Industry and Agriculture
- 1915–1978: Department of Economic Affairs
- 1979–2012: Federal Department of Economic Affairs
- 2013–present: Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research
An Office Holder on Wikispooks
|Doris Leuthard||1 August 2006||31 October 2010|