Risk Management Solutions
|Risk Management Solutions|
According to its website Risk Management Solutions was
- Founded at Stanford University in 1988, RMS is the world's leading provider of products and services for the quantification and management of catastrophe risks. The company grew rapidly in the 1990s offering technology and services for the management of insurance catastrophe risk associated with natural perils such as earthquakes, hurricanes, and windstorms, as well as products for weather derivatives and enterprise risk management for the P&C insurance industry. Today, RMS is also the leader in risk modeling for man-made disasters associated with acts of terrorism by analyzing the impact of weapons of mass destruction on property and people for many sectors of the insurance industry. The company's objective is to help clients improve financial performance by using RMS products and services to gain the most complete view of their risk portfolio.
- Hemant H. Shah, President & CEO
- Stephen I. Robertson, EVP & CFO
- Robert Muir-Wood, Chief Research Officer
Dr. Robert Muir-Wood joined RMS in 1996, and in 2003 was appointed chief research officer, leading a research organization comprised of highly experienced RMS professionals pursuing research to extend the utility and application of probabilistic modeling. Dr. Muir-Wood has led projects to develop earthquake, tropical cyclone, windstorm, and storm surge models in the U.S., Japan, Australia, Europe, and the Caribbean and has been the technical lead on a number of catastrophe risk securitizations. He has written numerous articles in journals and magazines, run courses in catastrophe risk for Lloyds of London, and has published six books.
- Paul VanderMarck, Executive VP, Products
Paul VanderMarck is executive vice president of products, leading the team responsible for enhancing existing RMS product lines and introducing new products and services. Since joining RMS in 1992, Mr. VanderMarck has served in a broad range of roles including model development, the establishment of RMS' initial set of international client relationships, and coordination of RMS' involvement in catastrophe risk securitizations. Most recently he was the Managing Director of RMS' weather risk business unit, in which he managed a team that developed and marketed an integrated suite of models, databases, and software to the weather derivatives market. He received B.S. and M.S. degrees in Structural and Earthquake Engineering from Stanford University.
- Lawrence Raia, Executive VP, Global Managing Director of Client Development
Larry Raia is executive vice president and managing director of global client development, directing the overall client-facing organizations with responsibility for sales, client service, and corporate marketing activities. Since joining RMS in June 2000, Mr. Raia has been part of expanding RMS' longstanding client relationships within the insurance industry. Prior to joining RMS, Mr. Raia was the leader for the Northeast Insurance Industry Customer Relationship Management Practice for Deloitte Consulting. Mr. Raia holds a degree in Civil Engineering from Lehigh University and an M.B.A. from Carnegie-Mellon University.
- Bill Keogh, Senior VP, Managing Director of the Americas Region
Bill Keogh has been at RMS since 1996 and is senior vice president and managing director of the Americas region, responsible for RMS sales and services activities in the U.S., Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, and Latin America. Before joining RMS, Mr. Keogh was engaged in various underwriting and marketing activities with AIG, NAC Re, and Swiss Re. His insurance industry experience includes extensive work in developing markets, including Eastern Europe and Latin America, as well as reinsurance in the domestic market. He is a graduate of Boston University with a B.A. in English Literature.
- Matthew Grant, Senior VP, Managing Director of the International Region
Matthew Grant is senior vice president and managing director of the international region, responsible for RMS international sales and services activities. Since joining RMS in 1996, Mr. Grant has been involved in growing the RMS presence in Europe and Asia, providing the full range of RMS models and services to insurers, reinsurers, brokers, and the Lloyd's market. Mr. Grant has a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Terrorist Risk Advisors Network
'A World-class Team of Advisors'
The development of the RMSÃ‚Â® U.S. Terrorism Risk Model has involved the input of an extensive team of highly qualified advisors, all of which are authorities in their field of assessing terrorism threats.
- RAND Corporation
- RAND Center for Terrorism Risk Management Policy
- Centre for the Study of Terrorism and Political Violence, University of St. Andrews, Scotland 'RMS is currently sponsoring the RMS Terrorism Research Fellow, at CSTPV, University of St. Andrews.'
- Jane's Information Group
- Institute of Defense & Strategic Studies, Singapore. 'RMS is currently sponsoring a Visiting Fellowship for Terrorism Studies at TPVP.'
Individual consultants who contributed to the development of the RMSÃ‚Â® U.S. Terrorism Risk Model include the following:
- Dr. Rohan Gunaratna Head of terrorism research, Institute of Defense & Strategic Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore Terrorism threat from Al Qaeda and associated groups
- Dr. Magnus Ranstorp Director, Centre for the Study of Terrorism and Political Violence, University of St. Andrew's Terrorism threats from Islamic militant groups and political violence in Middle East
- Dr. Bruce Hoffman Vice president for external affairs and director, RAND Corporations, Washington DC Terrorism risk in the U.S.
- Dr. K. Jack Riley Director, RAND Public Safety and Justice Homeland Security
- Dr. Robert Reville Director of the RAND Institute for Civil Justice Terrorism compensation & liability
- Dr. Darius Lakdawalla Associate economist at RAND and a faculty research fellow at the National Bureau of Economic Research Probabilistic modeling and economics of terrorism risk
- Dr. Brian Chow Senior physical scientist at RAND Loss modeling and the defense and control of terrorism weaponry
- Dr. Greg Jones Senior defense policy analyst at RAND Chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear weapons in terrorism
- Dr. George Zanjani Economist in the capital markets function of the research and market analysis group of the [[Federal Reserve Bank of New York]. Economics of terrorism insurance
- Dr. Brian A. Jackson Associate physical scientist at RAND Emergency response to terrorism incidents
- Dr. Kim Cragin Associate international policy analyst at RAND Historical data on terrorism attacks
- Dr. Gregory Treverton Senior policy analyst at RAND Terrorism, intelligence, and law enforcement
- Dr. Lois Davis RAND Defense and security at targets
- James Quinlivan Senior analyst at RAND Systems analysis research
- Pete Baxter Director, global consultancy operations, Jane's Information Group Attack technology, logistical burden, and red teaming analysis
- Michael Dell Director, Jane's Information Group Terrorism intelligence and news analysis
- Mark Mateski Consultant and project manager, Jane's Information Group Red teaming, site security, and logistical burden
- David Kuhn Jane's Information Group Weapons systems and unconventional attack operations
- Charles Heyman Editor, Jane's World Armies, senior military advisor, Jane's Information Group Site security
- Paul Mahoney & Laura Dake Jane's Information Group Security survey of New York skyscrapers
- Roger Davies Hazard Management Solutions Ltd., editor of TRITON terrorist activity database Consultant on attack technology (RMS terrorism model 1.0), provider of data and reports (RMS terrorism model 2.0)
- Dr. William Kastenberg Professor of nuclear engineering, University of California, Berkeley and member of the Advisory Committee on Nuclear Facility Safety for the U.S. DOE Nuclear power plant safety against terrorist attack
- Rich Balzano Consultant, Jane's Information Group Nuclear power plant operations and security
- Prof. Lawrence M. Wein Professor of management science at the Graduate School of Business, Stanford University Bioterrorism attacks and emergency response
- Mark Sauder Consulting engineer Industrial facilities vulnerability
- Malcolm Cowler Senior engineering analyst, Autodyn Use of computational fluid dynamics for blast modeling
Who We Serve
More than 400 insurers, reinsurers, trading companies, and other financial institutions rely on RMS to obtain the most complete view of their natural hazard risk. RMS products and services enable our clients to make informed decisions and improve bottom-line results on an ongoing basis. Our aim is to see clients achieve financial stability while optimizing profitability and growth.
Sample Client List
Ace Tempest Reinsurance, Ltd. | Aon Re Services Inc. | BP Energy, Inc. | Chubb & Son Division of Federal Insurance Group. | Copenhagen Reinsurance Co. | Danish Re | Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. | Financial Security Assurance, Inc. | Guideone Services LLC | Halifax General Insurance Services Ltd. | Hess Energy Trading Company, LLP | Holborn Corporation | Insurance Corporation of Hannover | Mapfre Re | Markel Corporation | Pause Insurance Services | Renaissance Re Holdings Ltd. | Risk Control Strategies of Marsh USA, Inc. | Scor U.S. Corporation | SIU Managers, LLC | Societe Generale | St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co. | Swiss Re Underwriters Agency, Inc. | Tokio Millenium Re | Towers Perrin Reinsurance Company