Ola Tunander is a Norwegian Academic and author of many papers and books relating to the "Deep State"
He was appointed Research Professor at the International Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) in 2000.
His paper "Democratic State v Deep State" is a standard modern text on the existence and nature of the so called "Deep State" in the Western World. It is available as a regular WikiSpooks document page  or to download in MS Word Format 
His paper "The use of terrorism to construct world order" puts the events of 911 into the context of earlier post-WWII terrorist attacks. It demonstrates that terrorism is indeed a carefully orchestrated and calibrated Machiavellian tool of the Western Security elites and is being used systematically to move the world towards Anglo-US-NATO hegemony. The paper is another Must Read and is available on WikiSpooks as a regular Document page  or as a pdf download 
The following academic biography was lifted from the PRIO website on 31 July 2010 
- Ph.D. (Technology and Social Change). Tema Institute, Linköping University, Sweden (with a doctoral thesis on US Naval Strategy, Weapons Technology and Geopolitics), 1989.
- M.Sc. (Fil Kand. History of Economics with courses in Human Geography and History of Science and Philosophy), Gothenburg University, Sweden, 1980.
- 2005-2009 Responsible for projects on security, terrorism, humanitarian intervention and China funded by Norwegian ministries of Foreign Affairs and Defence. Participated in project for the EU 6th Framework Program.
- 2002-2005 Leader of PRIO's Strategic Institute Programme: ‘Looking Outward – The Quest for a European Security Identity’.
- 2000-2001 Special expert to the Swedish Government Inquiry – the Ambassador Ekéus Inquiry – for investigating the submarine intrusions into Swedish waters.
- 2000- Research Professor at the International Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO).
- 1998-2001 Leader of PRIO's Strategic Institute Programme: ‘European Security Organisations – Two Europes, Two Philosophies’.
- 1995-2000 Leader, Foreign and Security Policy Program, International Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO).
- 1991-1994 Coordinator of the European network ‘Walls’, Nordic Summer University.
- 1989-2000 Senior Research Fellow, International Peace Research Institute, Oslo (PRIO).
- 1987-1989 Research Fellow for Nordic Security Studies International Peace Research Institute Oslo. Permanent position from 1988.
- 1985-1988 Coordinator of the network “A New Europe”, Nordic Summer University.
- 1983-1987 Doctoral studies at the Department of Technology and Social Change, Institute of Tema Research, Linköping University.
- 1980-1987 Freelance journalist (written a number of articles and three books).
Authored eight books and edited or co-edited four. Also written 31 book chapters and a number of reports and articles in international refereed journals (Review of International Studies, Geopolitics, Security Dialogue, International Affairs (Moscow), Cooperation & Conflict, Journal of Peace Research, Nordic Journal of Soviet and East-European Studies). Books or book chapters have been published by Sage (London), Frank Cass (London), Pluto Press (London), Westview Press (Boulder Col.), Olive Branch Press (Northampton, Mass), Rodopi (Amsterdam), Museum Tusculanum (Copenhagen), Norstedts (Stockholm), Cappelen (Oslo), Carlssons (Stockholm), Syposion (Lund, Sweden), Lund University Press (Lund), Nordic Summer University (Ålborg, Denmark) and Swedish Defence Research Establishment (FOA, Stockholm). Several of these books (and book chapters) have been used as text books at universities or military colleges.
Member of the Advisory Board of Millennium: Journal of International Studies (2000). Norwegian representative in the board of NISA (Nordic International Studies Association) (1999-2002). Member of the board of International Peace Research Institute Oslo (1998-1999). Swedish representative of the board of the Nordic Summer University (1985-1987).
Referee (for academic publishers and journals)
- Publishers: Routledge, Taylor & Francis.
- Journals: International Security, Millennium: Journal of International Studies, Geopolitics, Political Geography, European Journal of International Relations, Nordic Journal of International Relations – Cooperation & Conflict, Journal of Peace Research, Security Dialogue, Internasjonal Politikk.
Member of Editorial Committees
Journal of Peace Research (1989-1998), Internasjonal Politikk (Norwegian Institute of International Affairs, 1993-2001).
Referee (for projects)
Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Norwegian Defence Research Establishment, Norwegian Military Staff School, Research Council of Norway, and European Science Foudation.
UNAM University (Mexico City), Asian Law Center, University of Melbourne (Australia), Center for Naval Analysis (Washington), Naval Postgraduate School (Monterey, USA), East-West Institute (Washington, New York), Northern Region Seminar (Anchorage, Alaska), China Institute of International Studies (Beijing), China Association for Military Science (Beijing), Nairobi Diplomatic Academy (Kenya), Ankara University (Turkey), Sciences Po (Paris, France), European University Institute (Florence, Italy), Universität Kiel (Germany), Nobel Institute (Oslo, Norway), International Peace Research Institute (Oslo), Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (Oslo), Norwegian Defence College (Oslo), Norwegian Military Staff School (Oslo), Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (Oslo), University of Oslo, University of Bergen (Norway), University of Tromsø (Norway), Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Finnish Institute of International Affairs (Helsinki), Estonian Academy of Science (Tallin), Karelian Academy of Science (Petrozavodsk, Russia), University of Copenhagen (Denmark), Danish Institute of International Studies, (Copenhagen), Copenhagen Peace Research Institute, Swedish Ministry of Defence (Stockholm), Swedish Institute of International Affairs (SIIA, Stockholm), Linköping University (Sweden), Swedish Parliament (Stockholm), Swedish Defence College (Stockholm), Royal Institute of Tecnology (Stockholm), Lund University (Sweden), Malmö University (Sweden), Umeå University (Sweden).
Organized a number of international seminars, presented papers at international conferences worldwide and written reports for various ministries and institutes including the Swedish Institute for Future Studies, the Swedish Power Investigation, Swedish Defence Establishment, The Swedish Society for People and Defence, Norwegian Foreign Ministry, Norwegian Defence Ministry and the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Document:Democratic State v Deep State - WikiSpooks regular document page
- File:DEMOCRATIC STATE VS DEEP STATE.doc - Article for download in MS Word Format
- The use of terrorism to construct world order
- File:The Use of Terrorism to Construct World Order.pdf - pdf file download
- PRIO website - Accessed 31 July 2010