|start=14 May 1998
|end=17 May 1998
The '''1998 Bilderberg Meeting''' was the 46th such meeting and had participants from __ [[Europe]]an countries, the [[United States]] and [[Canada]]. It was held at Turnberry, Ayrshire, [[Scotland]].
The 1998 Bilderberg Agenda has not been leaked, but the website at Bilderberg Meetings has posted an agenda.
===1. Current Events===
===2. What Will be the Consequences of EMU?===
===3. Is there Room for one Transatlantic Market Place?===
===4. Military Implications of the Growing Technological Disparity between the United States and Europe===
===5. To what Extent Will Enlargement Redefine NATO's Relationship with Russia?===
===6. Is Europe's Social Model Dead?===
===7. A Review of the Crisis in Kosovo and Albania: the Role of the UN===
===8. In the Light of the Asian Crisis should the World's Financial System be Reformed?===
===9. The Implications of the New India Nuclear Weapon Program===
===10. Turkey's Role in the Western Alliance===
The 1998 Bilderberg was chaired by [[Peter Carrington]] and [[Victor Halberstadt]] was the Honorary Secretary General. The following other people were present:
* USA - Allaire, Paul A - Chairman, Xerox Corporation
* E - Almunia Amann, Joaquin - Secretary General, Socialist Party
* P - Balsemao, Francisco Pinto - Professor of Communication Science, New University, Lisbon; Chairman, IMPRESA, S.G.P.S.; Former Prime Minister
* S - Barnevik, Percy - Chairman, ABB Asea Brown Boveri Ltd
* TR - Bayar, Ugur - Chairman, Privitization Administration
* D - Bertram, Christoph - Director, Foundation Science and Policy, Former Diplomatic Correspondent, Die Zeit
* NL - Beugel, Ernst H van der - Emeritus Professor of International Relations, Leiden University; Former Honorary Secretary General of Bilderberg Meetings for Europe and Canada
* CDN - Black, Conrad - Chairman, The Telegraph plc
* INT - Brittan, Leon - Vice President of the European Commission
* GB - Browne, John - Group Chief Executive, British Petroleum Company plc
* IRL - Bruton, John - Leader of Fine Gael
* GB - Buchanon, Robin - Senior Partner, Bain and Company Inc. UK.
* D - Burda, Hubert - Chairman, Burda Media
* E - Carvajal Urquijo, Jaime - Chairman, Dresdner Kleinwort Benson S.A. (Spain)
* TR - Cem, Ismail - Minister of Foreign Affairs
* CDN - Chretien, Raymond A.J. - Ambassador to the U.S.
* RUS - Chubais, Anatoli B. - Former First Vice Prime Minister; Chairman RAO EES
* GB - Clarke, Kenneth - Member of Parliament
* F - Collomb, Bertrand - Chairman and CEO, Lafarge
* INT - Courtis, Kenneth S. - First Vice President, Research Dept., Deutsche Bank Asia Pacific
* P - Coutinho, Vasco Pereira - Chairman, IPC Holding
* INT - Crockett, Andrew - General Manager, Bank for International Settlements
* GR - David, George A. - Chairman of the Board, Hellenic Bottling Company S.A.
* B - Davignon, Etienne - Executive Chairman, Societe Generale de Belgique; Former Vice Chairman of the Commission of the European Communities
* USA - Deutch, John M. - Institute Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Dept. of Chemistry. Former Director General, Central Intelligence Agency; Former Deputy Secretary of Defence
* CDN - Dion, Stephane - Queens Privy Council for Canada and Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs
* USA - Donilon, Thomas - Partner, O'Melveny & Myers; Former Assistant Secretary of State, and Chief of Staff, U.S. Department of State.
* DK - Ellemann-Jensen, Uffe - Chairman, Liberal Party
* D - Engelen-Kefer, Ursula - Deputy Chairman of the Board of Management, Deutscher Gewerkschaftsbund, DGB
* USA - Feldstein, Martin S. - President and CEO, National Bureau of Economic Research Inc.
* INT - Fischer, Stanley - First Deputy Managing Director, International Monetary Fund
* USA - Forester, Lynn - President and CEO, FirstMark Holdings Inc.
* USA - Gadiesh, Orit - Chairman of the Board, Bain and Company Inc.
* F - Gregorin, Jean-Louis - Member of the Board of Directors, Matra Hachette
* TR - Gezgin Eris, Meral - President IKV (Economic Development Foundation)
* B - Goossens, John - President and CEO, Belgacom
* GB - Grierson, Ronald - Former Vice Chairman, GEC
* USA - Grossman, Marc - Assistant Secretary, US Department of State
* F - Guetta, Bernard - Editor in Chief, Le Nouvel Observateur
* GB - Hague, William - Leader of the Opposition
* GB - Hannay, David - Prime Ministers Personal Envoy for Turkey; Former Permanent Representative to the United Nations
* USA - Hoagland, Jim - Associate Editor, The Washington Post
* N - Hoegh, Westye - Chairman of the Board, Leif Hoegh and Co. A.S.A.; Former President, Norwegian Shipowners Association
* NL - Hoeven, Cees H. van der - President, Royal Ahold
* USA - Hoge, Jr., James F. - Editor, Foreign Affairs
* GB - Hogg, Christopher - Chairman, Reuters Group plc
* USA - Holbrooke, Richard C. - Former Assistant Secretary for European Affairs; Vice Chairman, CS First Boston
* P - Horta e Costa, Miguel - Vice-President, Portugal Telecom
* D - Ishinger, Wolfgang - Political Director, Foreign Office
* D - Issing, Otmar - Member of the Board, Deutsche Bundesbank
* GB - Jenkins, Michael - Vice Chairman, Dresdner Kleinwort Benson
* USA - Johnson, James A. - Chairman and CEO, FannieMae
* USA - Jordan, Jr., Vernon E. - Senior Partner, Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, LLP (Attorneys-at-Law)
* GB - Kaletsky, Anatole - Associate Editor, The Times
* GR - Karamanlis, Kostas A. - Leader of the Opposition
* TR - Kirac, Suna - Vice Chairman of the Board, Koc Holding A.S.
* USA - Kissinger, Henry A. - Former Secretary of State; Chairman, Kissinger Associates Inc.
* INT - Kohnstamm, Max - Senior Consultant, The European Policy Center
* D - Kopper, Hilmar - Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Deutsche Bank A.G.
* NL - Korteweg, Pieter - President and CEO, Robeco Group
* CZ - Kovanda, Karel - Head of Mission to the Czech Republic to NATO and the WEU
* USA - Kravis, Henry R. - Founding Partner, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.
* USA - Kravis, Marie-Josee - Senior Fellow, Hudson Institute Inc.
* USA - Leschly, Jan - CEO SmithKline Beecham plc.
* F - Levy-Lang, Andre - Chairman of the Board of Management, Paribas
* FIN - Lipponen, Paavo - Prime Minister
* DK - Lykketoft, Mogens - Minister of Finance
* CDN - MacMillan, Margaret - Editor, International Journal, Canadian Institute of International Affairs, University of Toronto
* CDN - Manning, Preston - Leader of the Reform Party
* USA - Matthews, Jessica Tuchman - President, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
* USA - McDonough, William J. - President, Federal Reserve Bank of New York
* D - Nass, Matthias - Deputy Editor, Zie Deit
* NL - Netherlands, Her Majesty Queen of the
* PL - Olechowski, Andrzej - Chairman, Central Europe Trust, Poland
* FIN - Ollila, Jorma - President and CEO, Nokia Corporation
* GR - Papandreou, George A. - Alternate Minister for Foreign Affairs
* INT - Prendergast, Kieran - Under-Secertary General for Political Affairs, United Nations
* USA - Prestowitz, Clyde V. - President, Economic Strategy Institute
* A - Puhringer, Othmar - Chairman of Managing Board, VA-Technologie AG
* GB - Purves, William - Group Chairman, HSBC Holdings plc.
* CH - Pury, David de - Chairman, de Pury Pictet Turrettini and Co. Ltd.
* A - Randa, Gerhard - Chairman of the Managing Board, Bank of Austria
* USA - Rhodes, William R. - Vice Chairman, CitiBank, N.A.
* GB - Robertson, George - Secretary of State for Defence
* USA - Rockefeller, David - Chairman, Chase Manhattan Bank International Advisory Committee
* E - Rodriguez Inciarte, Matias - Vice-Chairman, Banco de Santander
* GB - Roll, Eric - Senior Advisor, SBC Warburg Dillon Read
* GB - Rothschild, Evelyn de - Chairman, N M Rothschild and Sons
* D - Schremp, Jurgen E. - Chairman of the Board of Mangagement, Daimler Benz A.G.
* DK - Seidenfaden, Toger - Editor in Chief, Politiken A/S
* INT - Solana Madariaga, Javier - Seceretary General, NATO
* P - Sousa, Marcelo Rebelo de - Leader of the PSD Party
* N - Storvik, Kjell - Governor, Bank of Norway
* PL - Suchoka, Hanna - Minister of Justice
* USA - Summers, Lawrence H. - Deputy Secretary for International Affairs, US Department of the Treasury
* IRL - Sutherland, Peter D. - Chairman, Goldman Sachs International; Chairman, British Petroleum Company plc.
* GB - Taylor, J. Martin - Group Chief Executive, Barclays plc.
* USA - Thoman, G. Richard - President and CEO, Xerox Corporation
* N - Udgaard, Nils M. - Foreign Editor, Aftenposten
* CH - Vasella, Daniel - CEO Novartis
* USA - Vink, Lodewijk J.R. de - President and CEO, Warner Lambert Company
* FIN - Virkkunen, Janne - Senior Editor in Chief, Helsingin Sanomat
* B - Vits, Mia de - General Secretary, ABVV-FGTB
* A - Vranitzky, Franz - Former Federal Chancellor
* INT - Vries, Gijs M. de - Leader of the Liberal Group, European Parliament
* S - Wallengerg, Jacob - Chairman of the Board, Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken
* USA - Whitman, Christine Todd - Governor of New Jersey
* D - Wissmann, Matthias - Federal Minister for Transport
* INT - Wolfensohn, James D. - President, the World Bank
* D - Wolff von Amerongen, Otto - Chairman and CEO of Otto Wolff GmbH
* USA - Wolfowitz, Paul - Dean, Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, Former Under Secretary of Defense for Policy
* USA - Yost, Casimir A. - Director, Institute for the Study of Diplomacy, School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University, Washington
* GB - Micklethwait, John - Business Editor, The Economist
* GB - Wooldridge, Adrian - Foriegn Correspondent, The Economist.