Mil SitRep for MH17 area
|Date||2014/07/15 01:00:00 AM - 2014/07/17 01:00:00 AM|
|Description||Military Situation report for the MH17 area|
Examples of Ukrainian Forces active in the "area controlled by pro-Russian separatists", leading up to and including the 17th July 2014/
Losses in Donetsk and the Lugansk regions (for the period from July 9-15, 2014)
|Killed in Action||1600||48|
|Wounded in Action||4723||64|
|Armoured Battle Vehicles||96||0|
Arsen Avakov (Minister of Interior) and V. Gritsak (Head of the ATO)
The airport had been under Kiev control since 14 Jul when Ukraine forces had ended a rebel blockade.
DPR-affiliated insurgents launched an offensive on neighbouring government-controlled Marynivka (47.90484,38.84162) from village of Stepanivka (47.92478,38.80076) and Savur-Mohyla/Savur-Mogila/Saur-Mogila/Savur-Mogila on 16 July.Marynivka is a border town located in the southern Donetsk Oblast. Its position on the border made control of it important to maintaining insurgent supply-lines. Insurgents launched an offensive on National Guard of Ukraine positions in the town on 16 July, after breaking through encirclement by government forces in neighbouring Stepanivka. Two days after the downing of a government An-26 transport plane, Ukrainian warplanes had been given the go-ahead to resume flights over the east, Lysenko said. Kiev says it believes the transporter was hit by a missile fired from Russia. A separate SU-25 fighter plane was hit by a rebel rocket on the 16th, but the pilot made a successful emergency landing and there was only slight damage to the aircraft, the defence ministry said. No-one was hurt.  Fighting also spread to the nearby village of Tarany (47.88782,38.78399).During this offensive, the insurgents used tanks, mortars, and anti-tank missiles against government forces. Insurgents shelled Marynivka until the National Guard was able to repel their offensive and force them to retreat to Stepanivka. Later on, the insurgents said that had recaptured Marynivka.  Insurgent spokesman Sergei Kavtaradze said that fifteen insurgents had one insurgent had been killed, while fifteen were injured. Insurgent commander Igor Girkin said that DPR insurgents destroyed two Ukrainian armoured vehicles and captured one. Large numbers of Ukrainian troops, trapped near Saur Mogila, were reportedly attempting to fight their way out of the encirclement. Ukrainian forces came under continued attack by the insurgents in Marynivka, despite managing to hold onto control of it on 16 July. On the day after the first insurgent offensive, government forces repelled another four attacks, and destroyed three tanks, two armoured personnel carriers, and two other combat vehicles.
See also animation
- Catastrophic Desertions and Losses in the Ukrainian Army – Official Ukrainian Reports, July 19, 2014
- Ukraine forces break rebel airport blockade
- Ukraine conflict: Investigators start search at MH17 jet crash site
- Ukraine MH17: Air crash team finds human remains
- The national guard under: militia attacked the Stepanovka under Donetsk
- More Ukrainian soldiers killed as fighting rages in east, peace move flops
- Militants attack National Guard positions in Donetsk oblast
- Militants attack National Guard positions in Donetsk region.
- Associated Press: Ukraine rebels reclaim village on Russian border
- Ukraine rebels reclaim village on Russian border
- Tymchuck: In the battle near Marynivka the ATO forces destroyed 3 tanks, 2 APC (armoured personnel carriers) and terrorists’ cars