1994 Israeli Embassy Bombing in London
The Israeli Embassy in London was subjected to a bombing attack on 26 July 1994, eight days after the AMIA bombing in Argentina. A car bomb exploded outside the embassy, injuring 20 people. The bomb comprised about 20 to 30 pounds of explosive, and blew up minutes after the driver left it.
The Israeli Ambassador and British intelligence experts blamed pro-Iranian extremists, allegedly linked to Hezbollah. Thirteen hours later a similar car bomb exploded outside Balfour House, the headquarters of the main Zionist organisation in London, injuring six.
Five Palestinians were arrested in London in January 1995 in connection with the bombings. In December 1996, two of them, both Palestinian science graduates who were educated in the UK, Jawad Botmeh and Samar Alami, were convicted of "conspiracy to cause explosions". They were sentenced to 20 years in jail, and lost their appeal in 2001. Nobody has been convicted for the actual bombings.
Jawad Botmeh was released from prison on 5 August 2008. Samar Alami was released in June 2009 and deported to Lebanon. Both continue to protest their complete innocence of any crime. Their UK solicitor Gareth Pierce is also quite emphatic about their innocence and that their case represents a gross miscarriage of justice, as did campaigning journalist, the late Paul Foot. Annie Machon, ex-MI5 officer, believes that the two were framed, probably by Mossad, as a means of stemming sympathy for the Palestinian cause.
- File:JusticeDenied.pdf - The Israeli Embassy and Balfour House bombings. The wrongful convictions of Samar Alami and Jawad Botmeh with foreword by Paul Foot. 1999
- File:Israeli Embassy Bomb Appeal book.pdf - Cover-up confirmed. An EBook about the continuing story of “human errors” and the case of Samar Alami and Jawad Botmeh. 2001
- File:Israeli embassy case.pdf - Chapter 14 of the Annie Machon Book "Spies Lies and Whistleblowers"
- File:InfiniteInjustice.pdf - Infinite Injustice - Human Rights Breaches and the Wrongful Convictions of Samar Alami & Jawad Botmeh - July 2002
- Israel's London embassy bombed – Report on the incident by the BBC
- The bomber who never was - Robert Fisk - The Independent 26 November 1998
- Embassy bombing appeal is stalled - Robert Fisk - The Independent 30 November 1998
- Freedom and Justice for Samar and Jawad campaign site
- The Israeli Embassy Two - a gross miscarriage of justice - Annie Machon blog June 2011
- The Extraordinary Campaigner - The Guardian 12 October 2004. "The world will be a less just place without the tireless campaigning of Paul Foot"